Dal pakwan is a popular Sindhi dish that typically consists of Chana daal served with a fried bread (pakwan) on the side. The dish is often served with a variety of condiments, such as onions, chilies, and green chutney.
Dal Pakwan is also a popular breakfast street food in cities like Jaipur and Gwalior. Some streetfood venders serve 2 types of dal, yellow dal and green dal served with pakwan which is a deep fried.
It is very easy dish to make at home and it can be made in a short span of time only. You can also make pakwan a night before to save time. Lets start with our preparations to make Sindhi Dal Pakwan.
- 1 cup channa dal (wash, soak for 5-6 hours)
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. amchoor (dried mango) powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. tamarind chutney
- corriander leaves for garnish
For the pakwan:
- 2 cups maida (all purpose flour)
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 2 tbsp suji (Semolina, Rawa)
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- water to make dough
- oil for deep frying
- Aata mein ghee, namak aur suji daal kar milaye.
- Soft dough taiyaar karein.
- Chote-chote balls bana lein.
- Gol puri ki tarah bel lein.
- Puri ko chaaku ya fork se sare taraf se chhed de.
- Garam tel mein (medium heat par) halka bhura aur crispy hone tak deep fry karein.
- Nikal kar chan lein aur alag rakh dein.
- Thanda hone ke baad air tight dabbe mein store karein.
- Thoda sa ghee garam karein, phir jeera daalein.
- Jeera tala hua ho jaane ke baad, dal aur paani daal dein.
- Namak aur haldi daal dein.
- Dal ko itna ubaal lein ki wo naram ho jaaye lekin kuchal nahi jaana chahiye.
- Serving dish mein dal ko daal dein jab wo garam ho.
- Dal par saare masale daal dein.
- Dal par kaate hue pyaaz, dhaniya aur imli ki chutney daal dein.
- Pakwan ke saath garam serve karein.
Dal Pakwan aam taur par nashte ke liye serve kiya jaata hai lekin ise ek snack ya halka bhojan ke roop mein bhi maza liya jaa sakta hai. Iske saath aur bhi Sindhi vyanjan jaise Aloo Tuk ya Sindhi Kadhi ko jodkar ek poora bhojan taiyaar kiya jaa sakta hai.
(Dal pakwan is typically served for breakfast but can also be enjoyed as a snack or light meal. It can also be paired with other Sindhi dishes such as aloo tuk or Sindhi kadhi for a more complete meal.)
Dal Pakwan ko chana dal aur urad dal ke mishran se ya kata hua hari mirch ka upyog karke bhi banaya jaa sakta hai, jisse bahut zyada teekha banta hai. Kuch log ismein kata hua dhaniya bhi milate hain jisse aur swad badh jata hai.(Dal pakwan can also be made with a combination of chana dal and urad dal or with the addition of chopped green chilies for a spicy kick. Some also add chopped coriander leaves for added flavor.)